Stella Maris is currently a two-stream Catholic Parish Primary school situated in Futuna Avenue in Burnie. The site is beside Marist Regional College which is the Catholic Secondary School in Burnie catering for students in Gr 7 - 12.
The first Catholic Primary School in Burnie was opened in 1862 under the guidance of Mrs Morris.
In 1900, The Parish Priest, Father Hayes, invited the Sisters of Mercy to conduct the school, which they commenced in the Church building with approximately 90 students. The school was officially registered as a primary school in 1908 and was situated beside the residence of the Sisters of Mercy in Mount Street.
In 1912 three additional classrooms were added. In 1950 an additional wing, including an assembly hall, was also added. Later these were joined by the addition of three more classrooms. In 1959 the boys in years 7 and 8 transferred to Marist and Grade 6 boys in the early 60's. In 1975 Grade 6 girls also went to Marist because of overcrowding.
In 1961 a junior school at St Anne's, Montello, was opened to cater for the needs of the expanding population in suburban areas of Burnie. By 1970 with more than 300 children on the Mount Street site it was evident that relocation of the school was very desirable.
With the help of Government Grants, both State and Federal, the present building was erected during 1977 and officially blessed and opened on 18th June 1978 by the Archbishop of Hobart, Sir Guilford Young D.D. All children from the Mount Street site and St Anne's Montello moved to the new school.
The new school proved very suitable in every way. With increased numbers, further building expansion took place with a new administration wing in 1992.
In 1996 the Grade 6 students were able to remain at Stella Maris with the addition of two new classrooms. From the beginning of 1994 the school had a totally lay staff. The Sisters of Mercy were remembered on the Centenary of their arrival, with a book launch and celebrations held in the year 2000.
The Kindergarten was opened and blessed during the Centenary celebrations in 2000 marking the ongoing education and faith development started by the Mercy Sisters 100 years ago. The Kindergarten catered for two groups of twenty-five students. Students attended Kindergarten for two days per week.
In December 2004 the St Anne's Multi Purpose Room was officially blessed and opened by Archbishop Adrian Doyle of Hobart and Mr Dan White, Director of Catholic Education. This building was designed by Alan Johnson from Johnson Designs and built by Fairbrother Construction Company. The building included a multi purpose room, which could be divided into two areas, storage facilities, two offices, a canteen and small computer room. The underground area was enclosed for additional storage.
Continued increase in enrolments necessitated the construction of two additional classrooms, storage and toilet facilities. These facilities were located on the hill beside the existing Kindergarten. This construction ensured that early Childhood classrooms were located within close proximity to each other. These facilities were designed by Philp Lighton Architects, and built by De Jong Constructions. The buildings were officially blessed and opened by Archbishop Adrian Doyle of Hobart and Dr, Dan White, Director of Catholic Education in 2007.
In 2007 the house at 28 Futuna Ave. was purchased. "Stella House" is used as office spaces and a meeting venue. The facilities are also used by the Parents and Friends Association and the School Board.
In 2008 the school received permission to extend the Administration facilities. Peter Gaggin from Philp Lighton Architects designed the extensions and refurbishments and builders from Meadcom Construction Company (MACI) completed the project. Construction was completed in July 2009 and includes a new "air-lock", extended and renovated front office area, re-design of first aid room, additional meeting room, three additional offices, extended and re-designed work rooms and staffroom.
In 2009 the federal government announced the "Building The Education Revolution" (BER) Program. Funds from this program allowed the school to complete the refurbishment of all classrooms this included joinery and carpet. The carpet in all internal walkways and computer area was also replaced. The funding also provided an additional early childhood classroom "on the hill"; a music room and extension of undercover area near the canteen; Construction of a "discovery centre", including library, art, science and cooking facilities and an additional "under croft" area to be used as indoor play and PE area. Funding also allowed for redevelopment of the grounds, walkways and hard court play areas at the front of the school.
The buildings constructed under the BER funding were completed in March 2011. The buildings were opened and blessed in July 2011.
The Gr 1 to Gr 6 learning areas were refurbished in 2019.