You are here: Home Our School History

History

Stella Maris was opened in 1862 under the guidance of local school teacher, Mary Morris.  In 1900, the school came under the care of the Sisters of Mercy and was first officially registered as a Primary School in 1908. During the early years of school, classes were taught in the the Star of the Sea Church, and the school population averaged 90 students.

In 1912 the first three classrooms were erected at the site in Mount St. Further buildings were added and extensions made over the years to accommodate the increasing numbers of students. In 1970, 300 children were attending Stella Maris and it became increasingly evident that the Mount St. premises were no longer adequate. The buildings required extensive maintenance, the site lacked sufficient playing facilities and the traffic created noise problems and accident hazards. In July 1977 construction began at the present site, neighbouring Marist Regional College in Futuna Avenue, and since then there have been a number of extensions and upgrades at the School.

In 1994 the school converted to a total lay staff, however our founders , the Sisters of Mercy, are remembered with the celebration of Mercy Day on September 24th each year.

As the number of families seeking a Catholic education increases, the school's Strategic Development Plan outlines plans for future growth on the present site. As we grow, we will continue to provide a supportive, challenging and stimulating environment that caters for the individual, and develops in our students the skills required for life-long learning. Our future is one of hope and promise.